Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Stuff...I Mean...Fancy Shmancy Objéct from Around My House

This stunning piece was hand-crafted by my son, I think when he was in kindergarten. Feel free to guess what it is. Sorry, you won’t get any prizes, but you will get the enviable distinction of being named the winner. Yay! And I will personally clap for you while sitting here at my computer, and probably some people will be impressed by your…um…appreciation of the finer things in life.

I used to keep this arranged on an antique table next to a Baccarat crystal candle holder because I am just that weird. I thought it was sort of funny. A Realtor with a background in home decorating was over, and I saw her eyes dart all over the table and then go back to the THING. Several times. “Oh,” she said. “This is an interesting…piece. What is this objéct d’art?”

Don’t you love it? “Objéct d’art.” I wish I could have kept a straight face and made something up (using a haughty voice) but I’m not nearly that cool. Instead, I made her guess. While she was examining it, it came apart in her hands. The look on her face makes me giggle to this day. We both ended up laughing so hard we had to fight over the bathroom.

She never guessed what it was, either. So here it is, lovingly glued back to its original configuration, although I must warn you that I really don’t know which direction it’s supposed to go. Your turn. Good luck.

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. ~Victor Borge

8 comments:

  1. It's a two-headed lizard! With extra legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, it's quite obvious that it is a perfect replica of a Celtic Shan 'a C'ebretea. Beautifully done, I might add. Bravo! :)

    When my nephew was in kindergarten (30 years ago) he gave my mom a painting he made with water colors and finger paints. She framed it and called it "abstract". She received compliments from unknowing visitors for years! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, anyone can tell....it's a turtle! But, Tammy, I think when you put it back together, you put half of it on upside down! The legs are up, going the wrong way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When in doubt, interview the artist. What a great keepsake and even greater memory!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are so funny! Sad to say, though, no one has it. I will reveal the answer in a few days.

    Lisa, you have my overwhelming respect for coming up with that way-cool word!!! I looked it up and everything! Am I to assume since Google has never heard of it, that you made that up? Whoa, you are a goddess of creativity! And I love your mom. Art is in the eye of the beholder, so I have lots of kid art in my house, too.

    And Pat, you're right--it is a great keepsake and memory! Sorry, Bec, but I was very careful to glue it just the way the artist had created it!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it a replica of a pet? A two headed dragon? A ring holder? A paper weight? Okay, I'll just wait. It's these made with love gifts that mean the most. I laughed out loud when you said your visitor brkoke it. That sounds like an I Love Lucy episode.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, lovely!
    Is it a conflicted frog contemplating if he should jump or stay still?
    Donna V.
    http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL I did make it up! It looks like it could be real, though, doesn't it? I love that you Googled it. You just made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!