Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Blurb Friday #21

It’s Book Blurb Friday, a meme from Lisa Ricard Claro’s Writing in the Buff in which 150 words or fewer must sell a fictional book. I found this week’s picture compelling from so many standpoints that any accompanying plot just had to feel meaningful. The gentle hints of conflicting emotion playing on that tear-streaked face make the statue as enigmatic to me as the Mona Lisa herself. Lisa once made the comment that “some weeks the plot resonates more than others.” This is one I really would like to write, so thank you to Lisa and to Sioux for the inspiring photo!

~Fall from Grace~
At the intersection of love, mystery, fantasy and legend, there is Grace….

Distraught over dealing with his mentally ill mother, Jayde Calvert took a trek with his buddies to Our Lady of Sorrows Cemetery one night in drunken pursuit of "The Gray Girl”—a statue legendary among high school students. It was said that to climb up and kiss the tear-streaked statue of The Gray Girl meant that the stone’s suitor would be issued one wish. But as Jayde wished for emotional peace, he fell and struck his head, leaving him in a coma.

What took place inside Jayde’s suspended mind was a fantastical journey that is not to be missed, a soul-embracing tryst with the amazing, flesh-and-blood Gray Girl, Grace Lamp, that would forever change more lives that just Jayde’s…whether or not he ever awoke.

Don’t miss Book II, Amazing Grace, and Book III, Saving Grace.
(147 words)

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own. ~Steven Kloves (screenplay), Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, 2004, spoken by Albus Dumbledore

16 comments:

  1. Wow Tammy, this is absolutely FANTASTIC!!! You did perfect, and I love it. You were able to pack a lot of critical info into that short blurb. I really think that you should write this one.

    Thanks so much for stopping by to say hi and giving me your feedback, I appreciate it very much.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dream hook is enough for me. I think our dreams do have meaning (not in a woo-woo way, but in a subconscious-mind-telling-us-something way) and so this draws me in. The idea of other worlds being real in dreams is cool, and a bit scary/sad, too, because once we wake up the reality of it fades. Cool blurb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You already have sequels!!! You must know where the story goes! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea Tammy! This could prove very worthy of a real book idea-the comma, fantasy inspired mental journey, the statue and "magic"... Get going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my.........this is so darned promising. I really mean it. I can picture this book on the B S list and then some big Hollywood big whig buying the movie rights!!! I'll read it, and I'll be the first in line for the movie's opening day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes, what a great premise, changing more lives than just his, whether he awakens or not. Wow!

    —Kay, Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. whether or not he ever awoke

    With that phrase, you took an already promising book to another level. I'm hooked, so I hope you'll start writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good one. And sequels, too!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. A dream world opens so many possibilities, I'd love to see where you would take this one. ~ Calico Contemplations

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh WOW! I *want* to read this! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Madeline. Wow! Sounds like a scary-good book.
    And the photo by Sioux is "to die for."
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, all! I appreciate your comments so much! You're right, Donna--isn't that one of the coolest pictures ever?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my godfathers - what a fantastic response! So many directions to follow - a real humdinger of a book - only it isn't, is it? *sigh* yet??

    ReplyDelete
  14. That will teach him to mess around with statues and try to pull pranks. (Just kidding.)

    This was an unusual story. Did you write this after enjoying a beverage, perhaps? (ha)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, I actually did get drunk and play in the cemetery in HS. I don't think I kissed any statues though. The coma part is still in debate. :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sioux, unfortunately I'm just naturally like that.

    Jules, your comments never cease to make my day!

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!