Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stuff from Around My House: The Love Notes

My daughter went through a stage where she made little love notes for me. I knew that stage wouldn’t last forever, so I saved every one and stuck them up all over my office. One day my (then) teen-aged son asked me why I cherished those weird little scraps of paper so much. I told him those weird little scraps remind me that I am loved, and there is no better gift than that. He told me I should just know that I am loved.

What followed was a lecture on What Women Want that I hope he found at least as instructive as all that biology stuff. And I got one love note from my son. It was hurriedly scrawled on a scrap of paper, but still—to this day, it remains carefully taped to my printer with the others.
 He once asked me when I plan to get rid of my love notes. I said, “Get rid of them?” When they eventually disintegrate, I will laminate them. Yep, I’m a dork. But I am a LOVED dork.

And P.S. Welcome to Val Thevictorian!  Val, do you have a blog?  If so, I couldn't find it.  Thanks for becoming a follower!

Do I only have two pictures total now?!  Arg!  This is so frustrating!

Through the hands of such as these God speaks, and from behind their eyes He smiles upon the earth. ~Kahlil Gibran

8 comments:

  1. Tammy, there is no big space at the top of your post. It is completely filled with little scraps of paper that say you are loved!!

    (seriously, there is no space that I can see)

    I am a saver as well. I have tried to put a date on everything in an obscure place so I will know when those sweet notes were written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody understands the sweet and fierce love of a mother except other mothers...

    My son used to scoff at me writing poetry. His comment was always, "Poems are easy to write," so I challenged HIM to write a poem.

    I had to wait for it for several years, but it ended up as song. (New lyrics, "borrowed" melody.) His voice back then was not as good as it is now, but I am so glad I got it filmed, because it is something I will cherish forever.

    Be proud of your scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same kinds of scraps and school art projects that festoon the walls of the entire house.

    The scraps tell me I am loved. My display of said scraps let my children know they are loved.

    And I will be happily laminating right along with you! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have six photos of the same heart stacked on the top of your blog, but it's precious just like the love that your kids and you share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur...no space. Lots of hearts, though. :) I'm also a saver of love notes from my kidlets. They never fail to bring a smile, no matter the darkness of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to you all...and thanks for telling me about the little scraps everywhere! I couldn't see the the pictures so just kept adding them. I re-loaded everything, so I hope it looks more normal now! :-o

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you are not a dork, I do the same with special notes. Those are my grounded to earth papers :)

    Happy Valentine's Day
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I've got them, too. Some from oldest son, Scott, so you know I've had them a LONG time! I have a couple of Mark's in my office, too. Nothing like a mother and child's love! (PS I only see one heart and then the one picture of your printer with a couple of things on it!)

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!