Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Totally Random Tuesday: Departures

First of all, thank you so much to Jules for the blog award! Even before the award, Jules recounted on her blog an experience she had that I found so inspirational that it may become a blog post. So I will pass along the award later in the week—and double thank you to Jules!!

Speaking of inspirational…. Your kind and wonderful comments about my last post made me realize that this slow, bittersweet send-off we go through when our children go off to college or move out is really nothing new. When I thought about it, I realized that for mothers, child-rearing IS a very prolonged departure. It’s a series of separations—from body, from breast, from arms, from hands…eventually from home. That’s okay, though. As Pat said, it’s an exchange like almost everything in life. In this case, we lose a little of them, but we get a little of ourselves back again—changed, reworked, molded, reshaped, softened in ways, better defined in others.

In this process of living, I like to think that we are left more nearly…art.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Tammy - Congrats on your blog award!

    I have two kids out of the nest. My son is 28 and lives in Florida. My oldest daughter is 23 and lives about 10 minutes up the road (she calls me every day...literally, every day...at 5:05 p.m. I talk to her more now than I did when she lived here! LOL) Our youngest kidlet is almost 17 with one more year of high school, then off to college, and we're empty nesters.

    I have found that while the parting is tough the rewards are great, too, in terms of free time and--dare I say it?--the fact that my young 'uns appreciate me more in their "out of the nest" living than they ever did "in". I miss the children they were, but I wouldn't trade the adults they have become for anything in this world. So when my teenage daughter rolls her eyes at me, I don't mind so much. The older she gets the smarter she will think I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you made me blush. Thank you for the kind words. :)

    And when children leave home... you get to finally be a real friend to them. And yes, art! :D
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I have to second that award. Your posts are often very inspirational to me, and so beautifully written.

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Lisa! And you said everything so eloquently about kids growing up and moving away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy--Congratulations on your well-deserved award.

    I forgot to mention one "plus" I found when it comes to our kidlets moving away. I can now dash out of the shower and down into the basement naked, and I don't have to worry I might scar my son's psyche.

    I love your idea of becoming something close to art...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Tammy! Duh...I meant to congratulate YOU on your award! Geeez...I've been awake for way too many hours today. I started at 3:30 am!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Everyone said I'd have empty nest as I always would boast about how I couldn't wait :-) and well, although I love my children more than anything, I love that they are on their own - and yes, more nearly... art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tammy,
    Congratulations on your award. Your blog is not only eye appealing, it's mind appealing.
    Donna v.
    http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your description of the "series of separations." Simultaneously emotional and succinct!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, that was genuinely moving! Thanks for sharing that!

    You're welcome, Jules, but I haven't even passed along the award yet...but I will! :)

    Wow, thanks, Pat! I truly appreciate that and can definitely say the same of your posts!

    Thanks, Bec! I knew what you meant.

    Sioux, as usual, you made me laugh and nod at the same time. I have so longed to hang out in my basement naked. Something to look forward to! ;-)

    Wonderful, Lynn! That's the attitude I hope to have!

    Donna, thank you so much. That means a lot to me!

    Thanks, Kaitie! I'm honored you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!