Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Friday, January 22, 2016

Succinctly Yours Week 244: Pretty Fly for a Snow White Guy

Hooray! Grandma of Grandma’s Goulash is back! And I hope my work life is settling down enough that I’m back from my unexpected little break as well. Succinctly Yours participants are invited to chill out and pack a story into 140 words or 140 characters or fewer based on the photo. This week’s bonus word is “wisdom.” Okay, it’s actually last week’s. Oops.

Dr. Snaumann listened for his patient’s heartbeat and consulted his medical wisdom. “I diagnose a cold,” he said.  “An UNCOMMONLY cold!”  138

“Also,” said Dr. Snaumann, “Have you noticed any vision problems? Conventional wisdom tells me this might be an issue.” 120

As gray, as controlled, as dreamless as we may strive to be, the fire of our dreams will not stay buried. The embers are always there, stirring in our frozen souls like winter leaves. ~Julia Cameron, The Artist’s Way

14 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Hello for 2016 (already three weeks in...eeekkk..) Lovely start to the Goulash offerings - will look to get back to it myself in February... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeeekkk is right! Hope you get back soon! Miss you!

      Delete
  2. Tammy--Yah! You're back with these super-short pieces. They always bring a smile or a chuckle, along with a how-did-she-do-that? shake of the head.

    My favorite? The one with the diagnosis of a vision problem. I'd like to think of some clever comment like some twist on, "I guess they ayes don't have it" but I have nuthin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Story of my life, Sioux! I'd like to think of some clever comment, but I have nuthin'. Or worse - I'll think of it two weeks later.

      Delete
  3. Both are funny, but my favorite was the second. As always, well done, Tammy!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last one made me LOL. You are so great at these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Linda, and thank you so much for returning after my looooong absence!! I've missed everyone's posts. It's good to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, heh. The vision issue! Thank goodness the doctor was not a plastic surgeon. I smell a nose job...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! Yes, I hear he's thinking about getting a parsnip. Or possibly a radish.

      Delete
  7. Love that second one, Tammy! Vision problems made me LOL. Also love that beautiful Julia Cameron quote. So glad you're back! I hope to be back to commenting more regularly as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. These are awesome, as usual. I love the spelling...Snaumann. Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to wish you a wonderful Father's day to the best Mom I know!You sacrificed everything for them! You were always there for them! Even if you can't get rid of the stalker altogether, (phone and computer tapping) your rid of the pathological liar in your life! Truly, unbelievable all that you have endured! The truth will come out! Still, you persevered against all odds! What a blessing to have two amazing kids too! We all love you, and wish you continued happiness!
    You are there everything! Love always wins!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so, so much - not just for this, but for all of the support you've shown. I am so grateful for you!

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!