Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Succinctly Yours Weeks 237 and 238: Little (Occasionally Green) People

Many thanks to Grandma of Grandma’s Goulash for hosting Succinctly Yours! Participants are invited to come up with a teeny weeny story of 140 words or 140 characters or fewer based on the photo. I am combining weeks because I’ve been around, but just haven’t had much time. So last week’s bonus word was “crank," while this week’s is “odor.”



Believe me, you don’t want to babysit Yob when he’s cranky.   49



Back at NASA headquarters, the photos cranked out from the Opportunity Mars rover indicated there might indeed be small signs of life.  113







Tuffy’s odor necessitated his kidnapping for a secret, midnight rendezvous with the wash cycle. In the morning, Meg took one whiff and pronounced him dead.  131




Eighth Grade Boy (referring to his hair): How’s my ‘swoop?’ Is in en pointe?


17 comments:

  1. According to those TV commercials, everyone needs a backup Tuffy. And who knows what the next outrageous thing to pop up on Mars will be? This is perfectly logical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sort of expect they'll find little green men next. Or maybe Backup Tuffy.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Oh these all brought a smile to the face - the last one made me cackle! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually remember when I was little and my "lovie" was washed. I really did think it might have been killed until - whew! - the smell came back. Thanks, YAM!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful job on both pics. Definitely wouldn't want to get on Yob's bad side. lol The last was my favorite - I used to have to sneak my granddaughter's favorite stuffed animals into the washer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Grandma! I hope she wasn't too upset about it!

      Delete
  4. You know what a fan I am of micros, and you nail these every time. The second was perfect, because the little guy looks like he's wielding a light saber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he the most adorable little green man?!

      Delete
  5. The story on "Tuffy" gave me a snort laugh!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore the phrase "snort laugh" and now intend to use it often, Pat!

      Delete
  6. Tammy--Yes, every kid has had a "Tuffy." Sometimes those Tuffys end up mysteriously disappearing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the horror! Although I remember when my toddler lost his last "Nuk Nuk," and I refused to buy him another. It was torture for all of us.

      Delete
  7. You are a pro at these. I chuckled at the first, tee heed at the second and guffawed at the Tuffy, because I know about those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, Tammy, these are all so wonderfully clever! I'm partial to little Tuffy, though, and feel sorry for him in that wash cycle. Reminds me of my son Chris's Old Yeller. That poor yellow blanket was so ragged it couldn't withstand a wash, so we agreed to buy a New Yeller. It just wasn't the same. Thanks for the smiles and the memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how I loved your story of Old Yeller in Chicken Soup for the Soul! http://www.chickensoup.com/book-story/30379/ode-to-old-yeller. And the name, "New Yeller" is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Tammy. I'm so glad you liked it! That story was near and dear to my heart. I'm sitting here with New Yeller draped over my writing chair at this very minute, and Chris still has Old Yeller, though the poor ol' guy has to be kept in a plastic bag now because he's so very ragged :(

      Delete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!