Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Succinctly Yours Week 234: Oscars Aplenty

Many thanks to Grandma of Grandma’s Goulash for hosting Succinctly Yours. Participants are invited to kick back and throw together a story of 140 words or 140 characters or fewer based on the photo. This week’s bonus word was “vouch.”



I’ll vouch it belongs to Oscar the Grouch.   35

I’ll vouch it belongs to Oscar Madison.   33

I can vouch for the fact that it was once a de la Renta.   43

No matter what, I’ll vouch that the Oscar couch…is just as “ouch.”   55

The perfectionist fixes one line of a poem over and over—until no lines are right….The perfectionist is never satisfied.  The perfectionist never says, “This is pretty good.  I think I’ll just keep going.”…To the perfectionist, there is always room for improvement.  The perfectionist calls this humility.  In reality, it is egotism.  It is pride that makes us want to write a perfect script, paint a perfect painting, perform a perfect audition monologue….Perfectionism is not a quest for the best.  It is a pursuit of the worst in ourselves, the part that tells us that nothing we do will ever be good enough—that we should try again. ~Julia Cameron, The Artist’s Way

18 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Yikes, I missed again... have had a lot of pre-posting to do before my trip down under and am afraid this has just gone completely to my blind spot... You did good here; not sure I could have done much with this one anyway! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you've been too busy to participate, but what a reason! Enjoy that trip down under!

      Delete
  2. Tammy--You really pared these down. Bravo. (Oscar Madison--one of my favorite TV characters.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I could visualize all those Oscars. My kids used to call their dad OtG. You are very good at these memes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OtG made me giggle. Thank you for putting up with my meme-madness!

      Delete
  4. If that chair would've had papers on it instead of trash, I would've thought it was mine! Ha. Love the quote and you are such a fine one with these short mini's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I fear this chair ALMOST looks like it could have belonged to my son at one time. Ack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that chair is missing is a banana peel. Like the one jammed down in the cushions of the La-Z-Boy and left behind by Oscar the Hick, and found by me a few hours later. Those things turn brown, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many Oscars, so many smiles! As always, you nailed this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite was #3. You are the undisputed Queen of Tiny Tales!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny is that I Googled "Oscar de la Renta furniture," and it's really not out of the question! Anyway, thank you, Pat!

      Delete
  9. Love all of these---very rhyming today! I'm partial to the two Oscars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved these. Hope to see more of you at SY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grandma. I do plan to come back when I'm a little less overwhelmed. I know you know what I mean!

      Delete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!