Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Succinctly Yours Week 231: Alien Construction

Many thanks to Grandma of Grandma’s Goulash for hosting Succinctly Yours. Participants are invited to construct a story of 140 words or 140 characters or fewer based on the photo. This week’s bonus word was “yawn.”

When I saw Uncle Larry take out the ladder and Grandpa take out the bike, I yawned. But when I saw the trick they performed, those two became my heroes.  124

For years, Larry and his dad spent weekends alien hunting outside the gates at Area 51. Their “equipment”—a bike and a camera on a ladder—made even the aliens yawn.  136

A person’s life purpose is nothing more than to rediscover, through the detours of art, or love, or passionate work, those one or two images in the presence of which his heart first opened. ~Albert Camus

13 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Great offerings! Particularly like the idea of bored aliens!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done it again. I don't know how you come up with all these little gems, Tammy!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first glance, I thought Area 51. Your quickies are more potent than paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean I wasn't the only one? Glad to hear it, and thanks!

      Delete
  4. The first one got me, because now all I can think is, "What trick? What was the trick?" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'll tell you the trick. Uncle Larry appears to be affixing something up there, so I am sure it must be a pivoting mechanism of some sort. I think Grandpa's bike must attach somehow and spin on top of the ladder. Or maybe I attended the circus a few too many times as a kid. Lol.

      Delete
  5. Looks like the old dudes are escaping from their pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL. Now that you say that, it really does. And they have the getaway vehicle and everything. You should really play these.

      Delete
  6. Leave it to Val to recognize escaped convicts...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many times can I say the word LOVE, Tammy?! I especially love your second one -- it's so X-File-esque! And of course the Albert Camus quote is the perfect reflection. I truly do believe that quote too. I think each one of us is here for a very specific reason, and it's our individual discovery of that reason, by whatever path we take, that connects us uniquely to each other and to the Divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! I had to read The Plague in college. I remember thinking Camus was very wise, but his description of the buboes leaves me weak-kneed to this day. So any quote of his that doesn't make me feel sick makes me very happy.

      Delete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!