Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Happy May Day

While taking a break from spreading mulch (a job I dread every year), I realized IT’S MAY DAY!!! I grew up in an old, very Catholic neighborhood in Omaha, where the children traditionally celebrated May Day by exchanging May baskets. It wasn’t until I was grown that I found out other parts of the country didn’t seem to have this charming tradition. Seems to me I read somewhere that it’s Lithuanian in origin.

One of my friends’ moms was a decorator, so her wallpaper scraps were wonderful. You shape them into little cones (or rectangles with sides), glue or staple, and fill them with candy, little bags of popcorn, and flowers...I seem to remember lots of limp violets and dandelions. Add a long handle, hang them on your friends’ front doors, ring the doorbell and hide.

I don’t have a picture, so here’s one of the wisteria brachybotrys in my garden. I love this time of year.

I think taking a coffee break now would add to my stress.......boy, that really sounds silly, but only women would understand that. ~ Becky Povich

4 comments:

  1. How suprising to see my name on your quote of the day! Makes me feel quite famous!! You're so funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I've told you before that I collect quotes. The ones I put at the end of my posts usually aren't ones I've looked up, but ones I've saved because they struck a chord somehow. That's why they don't always quite go with the post. I don't care because I just *need* to share these little pearls...and that one struck me as so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy,
    I have vague memory of making May baskets in Kindergarten, but it was not a tradition for me, however Claudia (Bookie) had the exact same experiences on May Day as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't there something about dancing around a May pole weaving ribbons around it? I've never done it myself, but seem to remember seeing it before.

    Tra-la, it's May!

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!