Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Big One-Four

Today is Buddy’s 14th birthday. Or at least the day we pretend is his birthday since he was a shelter dog.  It was probably really a few weeks ago, but we liked the date.  And to think I almost didn't get him because of health concerns!  He was missing so much fur that the vet thought it might be mange.  It was a flea allergy and an untreated case of worms.  Hooray for hybrid hardiness. 

I feel so lucky not only to have had our beloved “Budster” so many years, but to have him still in such great shape. And what’s more, he’s inspired lots of writing. Thank heavens Chicken Soup moved their deadline for My Dog's Life to May 31st.  I’ve submitted two stories so far and have two more I’m working on.

We celebrated by giving one of his toys a squeaker transplant (since he positively doesn’t need more toys) and by giving him some PETCO cookies.  Which he promptly barfed up on the dining room carpet because it's not his senior formula dog food.  Sigh.

The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune. ~Pope Paul VI

9 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Buddy.
    What an inspiring tale (or is it tail?).
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 14th Birthday, Budster! You and Tiger are so similar in age and in your funny little habits! I know you make your "mommy" so happy! So sorry you got sick on your treats, though. woof woof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy,

    Sorry to post this in your comments, but I was unable to find an email address for you.


    You and your blog Message in a Bottle been nominated by Becky of Becky Povich: Writer, Journalist, Humorist for consideration as a Blogger of Note (BON) at Words of Wisdom (WOW). Words of Wisdom is a place for bloggers (women and men) who enjoy reading and writing great content to find each other. Becky feels that you represent just this type of "blogger of substance". If you would like to be highlighted as a BON at WOW, please reply to ourwordsofwisdom@gmail.com and submit links to three of your favorite/best posts for consideration.

    To learn more, please visit Words of Wisdom (ourwisdomofwords.blogspot.com) and click on the What is WOW and Blogger of Note links.

    Thank you,

    Pam and Sandy
    WOW Founders

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, what a sweet picture!

    Happy Birthday, Buddy!

    :-D Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW is right! Thank you for nominating me, Becky!!! You're right--I'd wonder if Buddy and Tiger were related if they looked a little more alike! And lest anyone think I am poisoning my dog, the vet assures me that Buddy's regurgitating (which he assures me is NOT the same as vomiting) is perfectly normal. Except it would be SO much easier if he'd learn to barf on the tile or wood rather than running straight for the dining room carpet!!! :-0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to Buddy! Tell Mom to try some home baked treats...there's a bakery on Main Street in St. Charles. That might work better for a sensitive tummy!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Budward" and I thank you, Anna!!! Yes, that is his cute face, designed to ensure maximum birthday cookie ingestion, which then ensures maximum birthday cookie chunkage output on the carpet. I’m pretty sure this is where the phrase, “woofing one’s cookies” comes from. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And thank YOU, Pat! It's great to have advice from an expert on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for stopping in, Donna! We're honored!!!

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!