Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Succinctly Yours Week 243: Kung Fu Poultry

Thank you to Grandma of Grandma’s Goulash for hosting Succinctly Yours. Participants are invited to take a shot at a story of 140 words or 140 characters or fewer based on the photo. This week’s bonus word is “hearsay.” Have a happy Thanksgiving!

They were so excited when they heard there was a holiday held in their honor that they hurried into the clearing to ask if the rumor was merely hearsay.  124

Every year on Thanksgiving Eve, people told the story that some thought was legend, and others, hearsay. Few truly believed the five-headed Turkey Gobblin’ was real.  140

In case the rumor wasn’t hearsay, they got into formation as they’d practiced. Tom acted as wingman while they prepared to put their martial arts training to use.  135

Through self-nurturance we nurture our inner connection to the Great Creator.  Through this connection our creativity will unfold.  Paths will appear for us.  We need to trust the Great Creator and move out in faith. ~Julia Cameron







15 comments:

  1. The second one does it for me. That looks like a synchronized routine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the Olympics approve Synchronized Turkey as a real sport, I will at last become a sports fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these are terrific. I liked the second one best until I read the third, and the "wingman" cracked me up. Great treat for this Tuesday morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, I appreciate your stopping by, Lisa!

      Delete
  4. I found that picture quite intriguing, and, as usual, you really nailed it, Tammy!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too, Pat. I had to study it in order to make sense of that particular turkey-configuration. And once I did, I was kind of impressed by the way they were synchronized, as Val put it!

      Delete
  5. Tammy--I guess I'm one of the few. I believe the 5-headed turkey is a real thing.

    Doubters got to doubt, doubt, doubt, doubt, doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so, so, so, so, so glad to hear there are others who believe! Happy Thanksgiving, Sioux!

      Delete
  6. #1 is my favorite, but they're all great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad someone liked the underdog...er...underturkey. LOL. Thanks so much for stopping by, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard a rumor that you had some flash fiction here I hadn't yet seen -- thought I'd better come make sure it wasn't hearsay ;) I love them all, of course, Tams. I know I say that every time, but it's always true! I think, however, I'm with Donna on this one. I can just picture the rumor-mongering going on in that clearing :) And I truly, truly love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, thanks, Ters! Isn't that a great quote? I meant to note that she said that in The Artist's Way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That middle one made me gobble, I mean chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tammy--I'm doing Cathy Hall's challenge, so I wanted to thank you. Thanks for you as a fellow WWWP. Thanks for your deft touch when it comes to critique. Thanks for your grammar knowledge. I'm frequently in need of it. Thanks for making me wish--at least twice a month--that I could make lines sing and soar like you can.

    Now, get working on your Beanie book. It (seriously) would sell like crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sioux, you have no clue how much those words mean to me right now. As you know, I've started a new job and getting any time at all is a real struggle these days, so thank you so much for giving encouragement when I need it most. Thank you back for all that you are and all that you do and all that you write. I need to check out Cathy's challenge, too. I haven't been on her blog in years, but I always like her from the comments she makes on other people's blogs. She strikes me as such a clever, witty, warm person.

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!