Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Succinctly Yours Week 201: Marooned

Thank you to Grandma’s Goulash for hosting Succinctly Yours, a delightful little meme in which we are encouraged to pack a story into 140 words or 140 characters or fewer. The bonus word this week was “faint.”

The first morning of his island vacation, naïve Ed went outside and thought he might faint. No wonder his ticket to Grand Island, Nebraska had been such a good deal.  136


They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist. . . .
~Last words of General John Sedgwick, Union Commander, killed in battle during the U.S. Civil War

10 comments:

  1. I guess there'll be no need for sunscreen for Ed?

    Was that REALLY that general's last words? Hilarious (for us) and ironic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I hear he got a bad case of windburn. I got that quote from an article MSN did a while back on last words of famous people. Just now tried to check other sources, and some claim he finished the sentence.

      Delete
  2. Hari Om
    Brrwwhwhahahahahahah... you get what you pays for Ed!!! Oh this made me giggle at bedtime which is all to the good! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, YAM, and hope you had sweet dreams...that didn't involve blizzards!

      Delete
  3. I wish Ed good luck in acquiring a pineapple/coconut cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hear he picked up a can of Del Monte fruit cocktail at Scagway.

      Delete
  4. That is too funny! Poor Ed...

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing out loud. You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, poor Ed. lol Made me think of a friend of mine whose son took her to NY for her birthday. Yeah, they were there this week, caught up in the big storm. Last post I saw on FB, they were still trying to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, my "reply" feature isn't working. SIGH. Pat, please don't feel too sorry for Ed. I've been to Grand Island, and it has some of the loveliest people you'll meet anywhere. In fact, in my mind, Ed hangs out at a coffee shop feeling sorry for himself and meets his future wife, a geography teacher, who teaches him a thing or two. Later he decides to relocate to Grand Island and become a travel agent.

    Thanks so much, Linda!

    Oh, I've been reading about that storm! Hope they were able to have some fun anyway and get home safely!

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!