Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Succinctly Yours #180: Passionate Pair of Pears

Thank you to Grandma’s Goulash for hosting Succinctly Yours! Each week, Grandma picks a fresh picture to help bring a story of 140 words or 140 characters to fruition. I giggled when I saw this picture! The bonus word this week was “labor.”

They were a smitten pair of pears. His firm, ripe flesh turned her insides to jelly. When he called her his little tart, she blushed. There was no labor to this love. 134

Picking each other was a labor of love that grew, ripened, and then mellowed sweetly. It would never spoil…until she was caught in salad with a zesty passion fruit. 136

Anjou and Bart were excited about their modeling careers. Posing for still lifes was the opposite of grueling physical labor.  106

When Anjou told Bart she was going into labor, he secretly hoped it would be a little Bartlett.  78

“….it came to me that if I wanted to, I could have a little session with this young, young man and you would never have to know about it, he would be making love to history and so would I. But when I looked at him again, well, there he was with his gigantic knees and his unlaced sneakers and his carefully ripped jeans, his ice rattling around in his Coke cup—someone for a girl, not for me….I noticed he followed me for a while in a half-hearted, non-threatening sort of way, and please understand what I mean when I tell you that I hoped my butt looked good.  I mean I just hoped my butt looked good, that’s all.”  ~ Elizabeth Berg, The Pull of the Moon

13 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    This was a delightful one to tackle and you have done it pear-fectly... that last one echoes one of mine. Happy Labor Day to you! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorites are the last one and the first one. "Little Bartlett." Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed at the first, snickered att he second and am guffawing t the 3rd and 4th! You are a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is the first one. It's a little racy. Apparently, that's what led to the fourth one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. There really WAS labor to that love, huh? It just came 9 months later. (Or however long pear-gestation is.)

      Delete
  5. Tammy, I'm liking your pear-mix here, the pear-salad was great!
    ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're brilliant at this thing! Loved them all. Loved the quote too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! As a romance writer I appreciate the first two the most, especially the first. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I always wonder where these pictures come from, but I thought this last one was a hoot. Who wouldn't love romantic pears?

      Delete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!