Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Succinctly Yours #171: Fabric of Society


Thank you once again to Grandma’s Goulash for hosting Succinctly Yours! The idea of this meme is to use the picture to tell a story in 140 words or 140 characters. The bonus word was “object.”



Handsome Sir Willem was a dandy, a fop who didn’t object to buying the very best fabrics. When the latest G.Q. was out, he knew it was time to bolt to his favorite store.  135

Sir Will didn’t object to buying the best fabrics for his wife. Mr. Fry could tell by the way he clutched his Vogue that those dresses weren’t going on Lady Will at all.  137




“I’d been playing Voltaire to a straggling drunk but he’d abandoned my dramas for a work of friction read him by a thin whore under the colonnade.” ~Jennifer Connelly, Revolution 

18 comments:

  1. Tammy--Your use of "bolt" in the first one is priceless (bolt of fabric--pun intended, I'm sure) and the second one made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    I see you took the verbal route (as it were!) - excellent!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your first one! You have inspired me, but alas, I am still too lazy to go to Grandma's and play the right way. Or to fit in the bonus word.

    Handing out brochures for his proposed nudist colony did not endear Sir Willem to Mr. Fry, proprietor of Ye Olde Fabric Shoppe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee. Yet he looks a tiny bit endeared, does he not? ;)

      Delete
    2. I love your takes on the photos, Val. Please do come over to Succinctly Yours and play along.

      Delete
  4. Lady Will is missing out big time. What a 'heel'. I think she should cancel his G.Q. subscription.
    I loved the word play here. Some are hard to spot, this one you have jumping off the page at us. Thank you, Tammy.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my wicked imagination, Lady Will and Mr. Fry share a private tete a tete about how Sir Will's "tete a tetes" look in those dresses. Thank YOU, Jim!

      Delete
  5. Oh, the pun! lol I love those. You've sewn them up very nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yours was better. I struggled with this one. Thank you for your generosity!

      Delete
  6. Ha! Love the second one. What a dandy!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love both your takes, Tammy, especially the second. Like always, you made me laugh this morning. I love stopping by just to see your word magic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job as always! And I also liked the previous post...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two different and very entertaining slants on the photo. I'm still chuckling over "bolt".

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!