Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Book Blurb Friday #54

Hooray for Book Blurb Friday! Every week, Lisa Ricard Claro of Writing in the Buff presents us with a picture for a pretend book jacket. Our challenge is to write a blurb of 150 words or fewer to go with it. I hope Sandra Davies will forgive me for the liberties I took with her beautiful and inspiring picture. My blurb has 150 words.


~The Upstairs Window~

1812: It seemed so long that she had dreamed of his return. Daily she watched for him, but all she saw was people who looked so strange. Occasionally they shouted and pointed up at her until she hid.

If he didn’t come back, she would jump.

2012: It seemed he had dreamed of her so long. Now he was looking for his first house. And when he looked at the upstairs window, there she was looking down at him. He turned to the Realtor. Someone was up there! A beautiful woman. Had she seen?

Oh, there’s a legend that the place is haunted, she said. A woman named Georgiana had supposedly waited in vain for her true love to come home and then threw herself out the window. Silliness, of course. What did he think—was he home?

“Home,” he whispered, looking up.

“Home,” Georgiana gasped, tears in her eyes.


"Of all the ways to lose a person, death is the kindest." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 comments:

  1. So good! I would love to read your book, Tammy. It seems as if there is something pretty haunting about the photo, doesn't it?

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blurb brought to my mind the old movie "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. I never pass up a good romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy--The last two lines would suck me right in. I'd have to buy the book to find out if it ended up being a romznce or a horror story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, Tammy, this is a must-buy blurb. Very, very well done.
    K

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!