Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Improper Poll: Haggaday

They say it as I’m leaving Costco: “Haggaday!” Bank tellers say it, too. “Haggaday!” I just heard it again as I was leaving the grocery store: “Haggaday!”

I’m not making fun of them; the words are bound to slur together when people utter the same sentence hundreds of times a day. The thing that makes me giggle is the logo that always pops into my head:

Do you ever hear a silly pronunciation?

6 comments:

  1. Until six months ago, my 13-year-old son thought harbinger was har-bringer. "Because robins bring spring when they appear."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I live with a 17-year-old who brings friends around the house all the time, so I hear bizarre pronunciations from the kids like, "Ima be mad at him in a minute," or "Shoo mean by that?" Is it the texting? Good grief!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The head of my dog rescue group is British. She once was talking about doing a "poker" type of activity at one of our picnics, where people would go from station to station, getting a card at each station, and then would eventually get a "hand." However, instead of poker I heard "polka" due to her accent, and I kept visualizing the dogs dancing around, accompanied by a guy on an accordian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, how did you get my 5th grade picture? I just back from a road trip so yes I heard many things that made my head turn. :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, I'm never quite sure if the problem is THEIR pronunciation or MY hearing!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard so pretty bizarre use of words in my time! A guy in my husband's office years ago was talking about his daughter's difficult labor, and told us that they had to "seduce labor."

    One phrase that really gets on my nerves is when a clerk tells me to "have a good one!" What does he mean by that? A good nap? A good trip? A good evacuating experience in the bathroom? Why can't he just tell me to have a good day?

    My oldest son used to call the algae in the pool "allergy."

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!