Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Improper Poll: Best Dad

I will always have a soft spot for Lorne Greene because I used to watch Bonanza with my dad. I remember almost nothing about the show itself other than the fact that Adam always wore a black hat, and if any of the boys fell in love, the girl was doomed to die within an episode or two. My father used to mutter, “Uh oh—she’s a goner” whenever one of the Cartwright boys kissed a girl.

What became memorable for me was the way my father and I would greet each other for the rest of his life, no matter how old I was. “Howdy Paw,” I’d say. And he would respond, “Howdy Lil’ Podner.” He even signed his letters “Love, Paw."

In the end, those were our last words to one other. And that’s fine. Somehow those words said it all.

Who was your favorite TV dad?

11 comments:

  1. Mr. Cleaver was always low-key and never yelled, despite the Beav's antics. And he and June would plot about the kids in a good-humored way. (I suspect Ward was sipping highballs, but I don't recall ever seeing a cocktail glass in his hand.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Ward Cleaver has been spoken for, I will choose Mike Brady. None of his TV kids have turned out to be criminals in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not from our childhood, but my husband and I agree, best TV dad ever, Bill Cosby.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ward Cleaver was great. Other favorite shows, which definitely date me, are: Father Knows Best and Make Room for Daddy--oh, and The Lucy Show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill Cosby, and to this day my chhildren tell me I married a guy just like him, serious, funny,kind, sensible. I think they are right.
    I love your Howdy Powdner. This is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have to say Gomez from the Addams Family. I always wanted a dad like that, instead I got Grandpa from the Real McCoys. :)

    But that is a beautiful memory of your father and you.
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you made me cry. Thanks a bunch. *sigh*

    My favorite TV Dad was Bill Bixby in "The Courtship of Eddie's Father." I had a mad crush on him, and the fact that he was so wise and sweet when dealing with the little nipper just clinched it for me. Now ask me who my favorite green TV monster is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill Cosby, but during my early years,was it Robert Young in Father Knows Best?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The nice thing about tv dads is they always knew the right thing to say (thanks to wonderful writers!). I have multiple favs, but since many have already been mentioned, I'll choose John Walton.

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blurb about you and your dad - how sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'd forgotten about some of those, but every single one you mentioned was wonderful! And Jules, I had to giggle at Gomez, because I liked him, too--though I think it was a tossup between him and Herman Munster. And ditto the crush on Bill Bixby, Lisa. Even when he was green.

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!