Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Senior Sex(less) and the City: #18

Cute Guy
“Guess who likes you?” my friend asked me. “Who?” I asked. I wrinkled my nose out of habit.

For Valentine’s Day, I got a card from a friend. Two little girls were on the front. “Johnny likes you,” says one.

“Paste-Eating Johnny, or Booger-Eating Johnny?” asks the other. I wish I could find what I did with it, because I can’t remember the punch line. Something about enjoying my options, I think. But the point is, that’s how I feel. Amazingly, it was neither Paste-Eating Johnny nor Booger-Eating Johnny. It was…could it be??!!!

Cute Guy.

I squealed. “Really!?! Are you sure?! Did he tell you, or do you just think so? Does he like me, or does he LIKE me like me??!!” I made her repeat every single word that passed between them on the subject. Twice. Then of course I made her add in any facial nuances he may have used to convey the message. Then I giggled and danced around a bit.

Cute Guy is more than cute. He is smooth. He has chunky-but-clean man hands and a warm handshake and a winning smile. He smells good. Not good as in too-much-aftershave-good, but good as in his personal scent is good. Not that sharp, I-can’t-walk-up-a-hill-so-I’m-turning-red-and-emitting-sour-sweat personal scent. But a clean skin smell. That one. Oooh….

Then she mentioned his age. Oh. Oh crap. He is quite a bit younger than I’d hoped. I told my friend my age. Maybe it’s that she’s only seen me in darkened rooms, or maybe the fat distracted her from the wrinkles or something, but she thought I was younger. Oh, she says. Oh. She knows it, too—it’s too much of an age difference. And truthfully, I don’t blame him a bit. I wouldn’t date someone that much older than I am. I don't think I want to date someone that much younger than I am, either.  Some people can do it. I can’t. I want someone my own age.

Still. I’m unaccountably happy. Like the birthday card, I do have some pretty fun options. And age? I’m still giggling like a twelve-year-old.

Cute Guy liked me!



Welcome and thank you to new blog follower Dorothy Evans!

10 comments:

  1. Too funny! Paste-eating, or booger-eating...ewww, but I know that's kind of how you felt/feel! So happy to hear that the Cute Guy "Likes" you!! Funny, and sweet, all together. But, I'm sad to hear, too, that he may be a tad too young for you. You'll have to fill me in later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's no wonder cute guy likes you...you're adorable. Are you sure he's too young? You don't have to marry him, you know. . .you could just enjoy one another's company. *snort* Okay, maybe not. Why get something started if you're not interested in. . .*sigh*. . .I better stop now. Are you SURE you can't spell "cougar?" Call Demi. She'll pull out the dictionary for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute guy sounds perfect for you! And you do not look your age.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who wouldn't like you? You look 30 and have a dynamic personality. When I was young and single again, a younger guy asked me to dance and said, 'Uhm, you smell so good, like clean laundry." I walked away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Sioux!! Cougars are all the rage these days! And Linda O'Connell, I love the smell of clean laundry!!! Men adore the uncomplicated stuff! You should know that by now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are too sweet! I certainly didn't mean that I look young. I was just very excited. It was such a relief to *almost* get a normal one after ones like the guy who steams his brain fungus using a vegetable steamer (true story). I think my friend was just being nice and briefly convinced Cute Guy that I'm younger.

    Remember the Seinfeld episode where Jerry says he could never be an Orgy Guy because he’d have to grow a mustache and go around wearing a robe? Even if I looked the part (and I am no Demi! But you know "demi" means half!) I could never be a cougar because I’d have to get lip injections, wear tight animal print dresses, and—horrors—suck in my stomach. WAY too much pressure! ;)

    And Linda, I agree with Judie. Clean laundry is good! I could think of quite a few worse things he could have said, like smelling like his mom...or—ACK!—GRANDMA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - I found you over on Rogue Artists and am now following your. Hope you follow me also.

    Regards, Mari

    http://www.mariscamera.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say you are a bit wise, some cute guys just cannot be house broke. But it is a great feeling when they notice us. :)

    Sorry Wed. I was sick and I just missed this yesterday but I'm catching up now.
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!