Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Book Blurb Friday #11

What annoys me most about Blogger’s being unavailable this week is that it just happened to coincide with the times that I was. So now I have some major catching up to do. Am starting with Lisa Ricard Claro’s Book Blurb Friday—a meme which challenges readers to come up with a blurb of 150 words or fewer to go with a fictional book cover. I barely made it this week at exactly 150 words (not counting the title):

~Buried Past~

Eva Leighton led a quiet life. So quiet, in fact, that researching her family tree seemed like the perfect hobby.

But when her research uncovered a mysterious ancestor who shared her first name, Eva was driven to learn more. This other Eva had roared during the Roaring Twenties and then seemingly vanished. That she turned out to be her biological great grandmother was the least of Eva’s surprises.

Unidentified bones of a woman had been found in the Mojave desert, buried near a rusted Model A Ford. Eva transformed into a sleuth who, together with the handsome detective who was willing to reopen a very cold case, had uncovered far more than a family secret.

Eva had unearthed her great grandmother’s murder. But who had killed her? As she worked to learn more, it became clear that Eva’s life would never be quiet again. In fact, would history repeat itself?

“In the desert, an old monk had once advised a traveler, the voices of God and the Devil are scarcely distinguishable.” ~Loren Eiseley

17 comments:

  1. Well, you know I can't resist a good romance, and this has the makings of a fine love story. Mix that up with mystery and murder, and I'm ready to put it on my Kindle! Nice one, Tammy! I especially love the last line...great hook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Would history repeat itself?" I can hear the ominous music already...

    I think it's a wonderful idea to connect the car to a murder. (I wish I had thought of that!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, this one sounds like mine, although you made yours sound much more interesting. I think it's funny how we sort of thought a like! I love your quote at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy,
    I really like the hook you used to pull us into your story. I am interested in genealogy also so this would catch my interest along with a murder? Wow! Good Book Blurb!

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quotation at the end, and "roared during the roaring twenties" is a great line. Excellent take on the prompt, and very timely, too, with ancestor.com offering to uncover every family's secrets.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family history ... handsome detective ... oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You drew me right in. I thought you were doing a real book review and thought, "I should check this out." You're good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now write the story - please??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I just got my blogger back and trying to catch up. That sounds like a book I would read and explain to me why I actually see your characters when I read these? :D
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked the whole idea of this story. Family research was a good hook!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tammy, your story has all the elements that grab my interest ... and I love your style of writing. I will buy this for sure, so please keep working on it!

    Have a great weekend,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a rich bones for a story here ... romance, geneology, murder, mystery. Maybe you should keep working on it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent blurb! I love the old truck picture, too!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Danger and romance - who can resist! Does exactly what a blurb should.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tammy, email me when you get a chance:
    K9friend1@sbcglobal.net

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Finding a body in the desert is actually a pretty normal thing. I personally have left the bodies of people I don't particularly care for out in the desert. No one seems to mind.

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!