Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Why I Love My Day Job

Overheard in the teacher’s lounge:
Teacher 1: “Remember the kid who glued his hand to the table, and I had to call a custodian to get a solvent that would get him unstuck?”
Teacher 2: “Remember the one who ate off the tops of several pencils, and I had to send him to the nurse to make sure he hadn’t perforated his intestines?”
Teacher 3: “Remember the one who stuffed a gum wrapper in his ear and finally had to be sent home to get it removed?”
(Collective sigh from all of them, followed by a few moments of contemplative silence.)
Teacher 1: “Hard to believe this is high school.”

7 comments:

  1. It's great to know that all the squirrely nimrods are NOT in elementary school. Kids are so "entertaining," the job is never dull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny - especially finding out these are kids from high school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, nothing surprises me. I worked in a middle school with kids who had failed a couple grades and should have been in high school. You wouldn't believe their shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How quickly they grow up...ummm, sometimes.

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!