Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Ten MORE Good Things About Getting Old!

Because there are so many more than ten good things about aging, I originally made one very long list and then split it up. In fact, at some point there may be more....

11. A bad reputation is no longer bad; it’s almost kind of cool. (Not that I have a bad reputation…but I hope to someday.)
12. You get to call people “young man.”
13. You learn that what Jane Austen said over 200 years ago about the importance of character is still true today, because the reason she’s still relevant is that she captured the essentials of human nature so well. You choose better friends and learn who to stay away from.
14. There are better products on the market now, such as teeth whiteners. That means that some body parts can actually improve a bit as you age.
15. I used to walk carefully in public when my shoes were wet to keep them from squeaking. Now I squeak them on purpose (much to the humiliation of my teenaged daughter).
16. My fear priorities are more straight. I am less afraid of what others think of me and more afraid of the things that really can and do kill.
17. Sagging makes me look frowny. People take me more seriously because I scare them a little bit without even trying.
18. You know what to say to people when they have a crisis because you’ve been through it yourself.
19. I may not be able to remember much, but I really can synthesize information better.
20. No need for Blueray or high def TVs—if I want an unusually clear picture, I just put on my glasses.

“…forgetfulness can be a blessing. When I forget what I'm angry about, I figure it must not be important.” ~Donna Volkenant

6 comments:

  1. All of those are so true. I used to embarrass my son by dancing a bit in the middle of Target and since I can't dance at all, it DID cause him to run away. Now that he's a therapist, working with the mentally ill, he just walks along and observes (and is probably mentally working on a journal article about me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sioux and Tammy, you both are so hilarious and have similar humor styles!! I suggest you team up on a blog together and either take turns posting, or do combo posts!! I know it would be a winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tammy,
    There is so much wisdom and humor in your list. Number 16 is so true, and thanks for using my quote.
    Belated Happy Thanksgiving,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here you go again. I love 15! You always give me laugh lines. Happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, Sioux! Maybe he became a therapist because you are secure enough to dance in Target!

    Thanks, Becky!

    Donna, thank YOU for the wonderful quote!

    Linda, same here. Guess we'll just blame each other for our wrinkles. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!