Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Totally Random Tuesday-Relationships

I’ve learned that the opposite of wrong isn’t necessarily right when it comes to relationships. I know a woman whose first husband was so wrong for her that she later married his opposite—who turned out to be just another kind of wrong. I know a couple of other people who reasoned that if you create a spoiled child by handing him everything, you must therefore create an unspoiled child by surrounding him with spoiled people and handing him nothing at all, ever. But the opposite of spoiled isn’t unspoiled. It’s usually another disorder, like codependence. I’ve learned that healthy is generally somewhere in the middle where give meets take.

8 comments:

  1. You got my brain working today. Thanks for your thought-provoking post.
    Donna V.
    http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so delightful and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say the truth of things is somewhere in the middle.

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said.

    There's a lot to be said for continual monitoring and course-correction, too. Who ever aims for middle and hits it? Who ever consistently hits what they aim for, especially when it comes to parenting? It's more like an interactive video game than target "practice."

    Speaking of narcissistic parenting, I'll never forget the defining example Scott Peck used in People of The Lie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all of you! And Nance, thank you for visiting and adding a professional view! So if I’m understanding you correctly, you’re cautioning not to blindly aim for the exact center and think that’s where perfect relationships always exist, because life is a “moving object” that can’t be forced into a perfect little middle ground? (Can you tell I'm liking that target analogy??!) That makes sense, and I will definitely be checking out Scott Peck and People of the Lie! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I missed commenting here! Another insightful post, Tam!

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!