Writing is like being able to put life into a snow globe. It takes the things that are too big and scary and reduces them into a form that I can put away when I want and look at from a distance. It also takes all that’s good in life and captures it into something I can take out when I want and look at close up and keep forever. It makes the bad things into something I can hold…and the good things into something I can hold onto. Both help so much that I need that little souvenir of life.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ode to a Zit

I can think of lots of good things about aging. Really, I can. Like, there’s a certain power in calling young men “Young Man.” Those are magic words, I’ve found, like a password into the netherworld between Momdom and Scary-older-woman-land. I find they usually look a little bit terrified of me and do exactly as I say.

But anyway, one of the best things about aging is no longer breaking out. Unless you’re me, of course! If you’re me, you get a zit erupting on your chin which is so huge, if the world floods, Noah will at least have a place to land the ark, ar ar.

But want to know what the final cruelty is about having a zit when you’re old and wrinkled? It doesn’t look like a zit. It looks more like a wart, or maybe one of those mysterious facial things that old people seem to get sometimes. Just…a facial protuberance.

Years ago, my sister accidentally jabbed herself with cuticle scissors. The resulting scab looked enough like a picked pimple that she felt compelled to explain to people that it WASN’T A ZIT. REALLY.

Now I’m debating whether I should tell people that IT’S JUST A ZIT. REALLY.

Aging really does change one’s priorities, doesn’t it?

Acquaintance about finding me an older boyfriend: “Don’t worry—we’ll find you someone who’s extinguished.”

5 comments:

  1. Whenever I look in the mirror it's a shock to recognize the old lady looking back at me.

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zits,,,huh?? I prefer to call them "tiny particles that only help explain our uniqueness in the whole scheme of things". :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Then I must be MASSIVELY unique!!! But fortunately getting less so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, hard to believe that what you see is a shock! You've always reminded me of J.K. Rowling. What were you before, a super model?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tam...and yes, you are MASSIVELY unique! AND, Pat...yeah, how can you see an old lady when you see yourself in a mirror? You are very young looking! Really!!

    ReplyDelete

Any return "messages" are appreciated!